Mindful Runner and Ekam Yoga have partnered together to offer a yoga class for runners, cyclists, or anyone whose primary activity is getting out there into the outdoors! These classes are designed by runners, for runners, and attended by runners.
This one-hour class provides a moving warm-up to open hips and shoulders, a standing sequence to strengthen legs and develop balance, a seated sequence that provides more work for core, back and hips, and a final relaxation to integrate the practice in the mind.
A lot can be found on-line supporting the integration of yoga with one’s running practice. But what are the real benefits of yoga?
• Greater proprioception, vital for good running form and exceptionally useful for trail runners
• Greater body awareness, strengthening the mind-body connection
• Greater mobility, especially in the areas that restrict runners (hamstrings, lower back, feet)
• Greater awareness and control of the breath
• Greater mental focus and the ability to put your mind to the task
Classes are Mondays and Wednesdays at 6pm-7pm. Cost is R50/class or R350/month. We also have a special Strength/Yoga Class combo for R400/month where you can combine strength training and yoga throughout the week, unlimited.
The Yoga for Runners instructor, Sarah Yates, has been practicing yoga since 2007 and opened Ekam Yoga in 2010. She comes from a running family, but is more interested in cycling and kayaking, and even spent some time training parkour. She recently started running again and prefers trail running to get back to her x-c roots. She blogs about yoga and running at ekamyogini.wordpress.com.